A brief history
Since the opening in 2007 of the Interdisciplinary Research Complex based on the heavy ion accelerator DC-60, production, research, modification of track-etched membranes based on poly(ethylene terephthalate) has been developing in the Technological Laboratory of Track-Etched Membranes with the aim to use in water purification by filtration, membrane distillation and direct osmosis, sensorics, catalysis, and other promising areas of chemistry and nanotechnology
For the first time, methods of hydrophobization of track-etched membranes were developed, leading to an increase in the contact angle > 120° while maintaining the pore structure of the membranes, which were used in the purification of water from salts and radioactive waste by membrane distillation. The use of track-etched membranes with a narrow pore size distribution makes it possible to achieve better purification from radioactive waste in comparison with nanofiber membranes.
An environmentally friendly, technological and effective method of membrane hydrophilization with hydrogen peroxide under UV-irradiation was developed, leading to an increase in the membrane performance by 30% (water); these membranes were used in the development of filter elements based on track-etched membranes with improved characteristics.
Currently, the laboratory is involved in scientific and technical programs and projects that are being implemented with the aim at the use of track-etched membranes in catalysis, electrochemical sensorics of heavy metal ions and in the separation of water-oil mixtures, as well as in the development of selective sorbents for removing heavy metals from aqueous solutions.
Research work implemented in the laboratory was presented in 30 diploma bachelor and master’s theses, 1 PhD thesis. 4 PhD students are currently conducting their research in the laboratory. The laboratory members has published over 40 articles in journals with a high impact factor.
- Development of chemical and physicochemical ways of modification of the surface of track-etched membranes by graft polymerization, click-chemistry, oxidation, amination, etc. for use in filtration, catalysis, sorption, membrane distillation, sensorics, etc.
- Development of methods for nanomaterials (nanoparticles and nanotubes) madification for biomedical applications.
- Synthesis and study of the properties of carboranyl-containing nitroalkanes, nitronic acids, coumarins, hydrindones, borates. Development of preparatively convenient synthesis methods. Investigation of the effect of the carborane nucleus in compounds on the chemistry of reactions with various electrophilic and nucleophilic reagents. Immobilization of the obtained compounds on nanocarriers for targeted delivery. Research of new carborane derivatives in boron neutron capture therapy of cancer (BNCT).
– Korolkov I., Mashentseva A., Niyazova D.,Güven O,Barsbay M.,Zdorovets M. The effect of oxidizing agents/systems on the properties of track-etched PET membranes». // Polymer Degradation and Stability. – 2014. – Vol.107. – P.150-157.
– Korolkov I., Mashentseva A., Güven O, Taltenov A. UV-induced graft polymerization of acrylic acid in the nanochannels of oxidized PET track-etched membrane. // Nuclear Instruments and Methods B: Beam Interactions with Materials and Atoms. – 2015. – Vol.365. – P.419-423
– Korolkov I., Mashentseva A., Güven O., Zdorovets M.. Facile green route to improve water permeability of PET track etched membranes // Nuclear Instruments and Methods B: Beam Interactions with Materials and Atoms. – 2015. – Vol.365. – P.651-655.
– A.Mashentseva, D.B.Borgekov, D.T.Niyazova, M.V.Zdorovets. Evaluation of the catalytic activity of the composite track-etched membranes for p-nitrophenol reduction reaction// Petroleum Chemistry. – 2015. – Vol.55. – P. 810–815.
– Mashentseva A., Borgekov D., Kislitsin S., Zdorovets M. Comparative catalytic activity of PET track-etched membranes with embedded silver and gold nanotubes // Nuclear Instruments and methods in Physics Research B. – 2015.- – Vol. 3654, part A. – P. 70-74.
– A.L. Kozlovskiy, D.I. Shlimas, A.A. Mashentseva, M.V. Zdorovets, K.K. Kadyrzhanov. Effect of Thermal Annealing on the Structural and Conducting Properties of Zinc Nanotubes Synthesized in the Matrix of Track-Etched Membranes//Petroleum Chemistry. – 2016. – Vol.56. – P. 330-334.
– А.L. Kozlovskiy, D.I. Shlimas, Mashentseva A.A., M.V. Zdorovets, K.K. Kadyrzhanov // Controlled Template Synthesis and Properties of Cobalt Nanotubes // Petroleum Chemistry. – 2016. – Vol.56. – P. 963-969.
– Korolkov I.V., Borgekov D.B., Mashentseva A.A., Güven O., Atıcı A.B., Kozlovskiy A.L., Zdorovets M.V. The effect of oxidation pretreatment of polymer template on the formation and catalytic activity of Au/PET membrane composites // Chemical Papers. – 2017. – Vol.71. – P. 2353–2358.
– Korolkov I V., Güven O, Mashentseva AA, et al Radiation induced deposition of copper nanoparticles inside the nanochannels of poly(acrylic acid)-grafted poly(ethylene terephthalate) track-etched membranes. Radiat Phys Chem. – 2017. – Vol.130. – P.480–487. doi: 10.1016/j.radphyschem.2016.10.006
– Korolkov I. V., Mashentseva A.A., Güven O., Zdorovets M. V. Modification of Track-Etched PET Membranes by Graft Copolymerization of Acrylic Acid and N-Vinylimidazole // Petroleum Chemistry. – 2017. – Vol.57. – P. 1233–1241.
– I.V. Korolkov, A.L. Kozlovskiy, I.V. Korolkov, Y.G. Gorin, Immobilization of carborane derivatives on Ni/Fe nanotubes for BNCT// Journal of Nanoparticle Research. – 2018. – Vol.20. – P.240-251 (doi: 10.1007/s11051-018-4346-8)
– D. Zh. Tulebayeva, A.L. Kozlovskiy, I.V. Korolkov, Y.G. Gorin, A.V. Kazantsev et al. Modification of Fe3O4 nanoparticles with carboranes// Materials Research Express. -2018.-Vol. 5. – P.105011
– Korolkov I V., Mashentseva A.A., Guven O., Gorin Y.G, Zdorovets M.V. et al. Electron/gamma radiation-induced synthesis and catalytic activity of gold nanoparticles supported on track-etched poly(ethylene terephthalate) membranes// Materials Chemistry and Physics. – 2018. – Vol.217. P.31–39
– Korolkov I V., Mashentseva A.A.,Guven O., Gorin YG, Zdorovets M.V. et al. Protein fouling of modiﬁed microporous PET track-etched membranes// Radiation Physics and Chemistry. – 2018.-Vol.151.- P.141–148
– Korolkov I V., Gorin YG, Yeszhanov AB, Zdorovets M.V. et al. Hydrophobization of PET track-etched membranes for direct contact membrane distillation// Materials Research Express. -2018.- Vol. 5. – P.065317
– Korolkov I.V., Yeszhanov A.B., Mashentseva A., Gorin Y. et al. Copper nanotube composite membrane as a catalyst in Mannich reaction// Chemical papers. -2018. – Vol.72. – P.3189-3194 (doi 10.1007/s11696-018-0539-y)
– Korolkov I V., Gorin YG, Yeszhanov AB, et al Preparation of PET track-etched membranes for membrane distillation by photo-induced graft polymerization. Mater Chem Phys. – 2018. – Vol.205. – P.55–63. doi: 10.1016/j.matchemphys.2017.11.006
– Mashentseva A; Kozlovskiy A; Zdorovets M. Influence of deposition temperature on the structure and catalytic properties of the copper nanotubes composite membranes // Materials research express. -2018.-Vol 5 (6) – P. 065041. DOI: 10.1088/2053-1591/aacb5f.
– Kozlovskiy A; Shlimas D; Zdorovets M; Mashentseva A; Kadyrzhanov K. Thermal annealing-induced modification of the structure and electrical conductivity of metallic nanotubes embedded in PET track-etched membranes //Chemical papers. -2018.-Vol 72(1). – P. 173-180. DOI: 10.1007/s11696-017-0268-7.
– Mashentseva A.A., Kozlovskiy A.L., Zdorovets M. V. Electrochemical Template Synthesis of Copper Nanotubes from Nitrate and Sulfate Electrolytes // Russ. J. Gen. Chem. – 2019. – Vol. 89 (5) – P. 988–993.
– Mashentseva A.A., Zdorovets M. V. Catalytic Activity of Composite Track-Etched Membranes Based on Copper Nanotubes in Flow and Static Modes // Pet. Chem. – 2019. – Vol. 59 (5). – P. 552–557.
– Mashentseva, A.A.; Shlimas, D.I.; Kozlovskiy, A.L.; Zdorovets, M. V.; Russakova, A. V.; Kassymzhanov, M.; Borisenko, A.N. Electron Beam Induced Enhancement of the Catalytic Properties of Ion-Track Membranes Supported Copper Nanotubes in the Reaction of the P-Nitrophenol Reduction. // Catalysts.- 2019. -Vol. 9 – P. 737 (13 p).
– Mashentseva A.A Effect of the Oxidative Modification and Activation of Templates Based on Poly(ethylene terephthalate) Track-Etched Membranes on the Electroless Deposition of Copper and the Catalytic Properties of Composite Membranes // Petroleum Chemistry. – 2019. – Vol. 59(12). – Р. 1337–1344.
– Korolkov I.V., Gorin Ye., Jazdzewska M., Anisovich M., Rusakov V. S., Zdorovets M. V. et al. Immobilization of carboranes on Fe 3 O 4 -polymer nanocomposites for potential application in boron neutron cancer therapy// Colloids and surfaces A. – 2020. – Vol. 601. – P.125035
– Korolkov I.V. Zhumanazar N., Gorin E.G., Yeszhanov A.B., Zdorovets M.V. Enhancement of electrochemical detection of Pb2+ by sensor based on track-etched membranes modified with interpolyelectrolyte complexes// Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Electronics. – 2020. – Vol. 22. – P. 20368-20377
– Korolkov I.V., Kuandykova A., Yeszhanov A., Guven O., Gorin Y., Zdorovets M. Modification of PET Ion-Track Membranes by Silica Nanoparticles for Direct Contact Membrane Distillation of Salt Solutions// Membranes. – 2020. – Vol.10. – P.322
– Mashentseva, A.A., Zdorovets, M.V. Accelerated electron-induced regeneration of the catalytic properties of composite membranes with embedded copper nanotubes // Nuclear Instruments and methods in Physics Research B. – 2020. – Vol. 472. – P. 53-58.
-Mashentseva, A.A., Ibragimova, M.A., Akhmetova, S.B., Kozlovskiy A.L., Zdorovets, M.V., Amirkhanova, Z.T. Synthesis, radical scavenging, and antimicrobial activities of core–shell Au/Ni microtubes // Chemical Papers. – 2020. – Vol. – 74. P. 2189–2199
– Mashentseva A.A., Barsbay M., Zdorovets M. V, Zheltov D.A., Güven O. Cu/CuO Composite Track-Etched Membranes for Catalytic Decomposition of Nitrophenols and Removal of As(III) // Nanomaterials – 2020. – Vol. 10. – № 8. – P. 1552
– Yeszhanov A., Korolkov I.V., Dosmagambetova S.S., Zdorovets M.V., Guven O. Recent Progress in the Membrane Distillation and Impact of Track-Etched Membranes// Polymers. – 2021. – Vol.13. – P.2520
– Korolkov I.V., Zibert A.V., Lissovskaya L.I., Ludzik K., Anisovich M., Kozlovskiy A.L., Zdorovets M.V. et al. Boron and Gadolinium Loaded Fe3O4 Nanocarriers for Potential Application in Neutron Cancer Therapy// International Journal of Molecular Sciences. – 2021. – Vol. 21 (16). – P.8687.
– Russakova A.V., Altynbayeva L.Sh., Mashentseva A., Barsbay M., Zheltov D.A., Zdorovets M.V. Kinetic and Isotherm Study of As(III) Removal from Aqueous Solution by PET Track-Etched Membranes Loaded with Copper Microtubes // Membranes. – 2021. – Vol.11 (2). – P. 116.
– Mashentseva A.A.; Barsbay M.; Aimanova N.A.; Zdorovets M.V. Application of Silver-Loaded Composite Track-Etched Membranes for Photocatalytic Decomposition of Methylene Blue under Visible Light // Membranes. – 2021. – Vol.11 (1). – P. 60.
Projects and scientific and technical programs carried out on the basis of laboratory:
– AP08051954 «Synthesis and modification of magnetic nanoparticles for targeted delivery of drugs» (Implementation period: 2020-2022)
The goal of the project is to develop methods for the synthesis and modification of metallic nanostructures of iron oxide, ferritic compounds of cerium and gadolinium for potential use in targeted delivery of substances and application in chemotherapy and neutron capture therapy (NCT).
– Nanoparticles of gadolinium and cerium ferrites, iron oxide were obtained.
– The functionalization of nanoparticles based on iron oxide with epoxy, amino, mercapto, chloro group was carried out using silanes.
– Carborane derivatives – potential agents for boron neutron capture therapy of cancer were synthesized
– Carborane derivatives and gadolinium ions were immobilized on magnetic nanoparticles
– The cytotoxicity of the obtained nanostructures was investigated.
– Published: 3 articles in journals with a high impact factor (Q1, Q2).
1) Project manager – Senior researcher, Korolkov I.V. (http://orcid.org/0000-0002-0766-2803);
2) Senior researcher, Ludzik K. (Lodz, Poland) (https://orcid.org/0000-0003-1749-808X)
3) Junior researcher – Yeszhanov А.B. (http://orcid.org/0000-0002-1328-8678.)
4) Engineer – Lissovskaya L.I.
5) Engineer – Shakayeva А.Kh.
6) Engineer – Seytbayev А.S.
1) Korolkov I.V., Zibert A.V., Lissovskaya L.I., Ludzik K., Anisovich M., Kozlovskiy A.L., Zdorovets M.V. et al. Boron and Gadolinium Loaded Fe3O4 Nanocarriers for Potential Application in Neutron Cancer Therapy// International Journal of Molecular Sciences. – 2021. – Vol. 21 (16). – P.8687. (IF – 5.93, Q1)
2) Korolkov I.V., Ludzik K., Kozlovskiy A.L., Fadeev M.S., Shumskaya A.E., Gorin Ye.G., Jazdzewska M., Anisovich M., Rusakov V.S., Zdorovets M.V. Immobilization of carboranes on Fe3O4-polymer nanocomposites for potential application in boron neutron cancer therapy// Colloids and Surfaces A. – 2020. – Vol.601. – P.125035. (IF – 3,99, Q2).
3) Korolkov, I.V.; Ludzik, K.; Kozlovskiy, A.L.; Fadeev, M.S.; Shumskaya, A.E.; Gorin, Ye.G.; Zdorovets, M.V. et al. Carboranes immobilization on Fe3O4 nanocomposites for targeted delivery// Materials Today Communications. – 2020. – Vol.24. – P.101247. (IF – 2,678, Q2).
4) Korolkov I.V., Ludzik K., Lissovskaya L.I., Zibert A.V., Yeszhanov A.B., Zdorovets M.V. Modification of magnetic Fe3O4 nanoparticles for targeted delivery of payloads// Bulletin of the University of Karaganda – Chemistry. – 2021. – Vol.101(1). – P.99-108.
AP08855527 «Development of modified composite track-etched membranes for environmental protection»
Implementation period: 2020-2022 (27 months)
The goal of the project is to obtain and use multicomponent composite track-etched membranes, including those modified with functional monomers, as membrane reactors for water purification from organic and inorganic pollutants, as well as for effective sorbents for heavy metal ions.
1) Project manager – head of the laboratory Mashentseva А.А. (https://orcid.org/0000-0003-4393-5845);
2) Engineer – Aimanova N.А. (https://orcid.org/0000-0002-9150-5877)
3) Engineer – Parmanbek N. (PhD student)
4) Лаборант – Nurmakhan А.
5) Junior researcher – Altynbaeva L.Sh. (PhD student)
6) Lead researcher – Murat Barsbay (Hacettepe University, Ankara, Turkey) (https://orcid.org/0000-0003-0788-4446)
7) Engineer – Zhumazhanova А.T. (https://orcid.org/0000-0002-5483-9552)
In 2020 (3 months), a comparative study of the process of chemical template synthesis of copper micro- and nanotubes in PET templates using environmentally friendly and non-toxic reducing agents was carried out.
Tasks for 2021 year
Synthesis of multimetallic arrays of nanotubes by galvanic substitution;
UV-induced and RAFT-mediated modification of TeMs by functional monomers (2nd half of the year);
Synthesis of multimetallic arrays of nanotubes by doping with catalytically active nanoparticles. Application of modified TeMs for the decomposition of organic dyes (2nd half of the year);
Application of modified TeMs for catalytic decomposition of such toxic pollutants as nitrophenols, ferrocyanides and pesticides.
1) Russakova A.V., Altynbayeva L.Sh., Mashentseva A., Barsbay M., Zheltov D.A., Zdorovets M.V. Kinetic and Isotherm Study of As(III) Removal from Aqueous Solution by PET Track-Etched Membranes Loaded with Copper Microtubes // Membranes. – 2021. – Vol.11 (2). – P. 116.
2) Mashentseva A.A.; Barsbay M.; Aimanova N.A.; Zdorovets M.V. Application of Silver-Loaded Composite Track-Etched Membranes for Photocatalytic Decomposition of Methylene Blue under Visible Light // Membranes. – 2021. – Vol.11 (1). – P. 60.
3) Altynbaeva L.Sh., Mendibaeva A.Zh., Aimanova N.A., Nurmakhan A.E., Dzhakupova Zh.E., Tuleuov B.I., Mashenczeva A.A. Issledovanie kineticheskikh i termodinamicheskikh kharakteristik reakczii kataliticheskogo razlozheniya geksaczianoferrata (III) kaliya v prisutstvii kompozitny`kh trekovy`kh membran. // Vestnik NYaCz RK. – 2021. – Vy`p.1 . – S.15-24.
AP09057856 «Development and ecological application of biogenic catalysts and sorbents from endemic plants in Kazakhstan»
Implementation period: 2021-2023
The goal of the project is the synthesis, complete characterization and application of biogenic nanoparticles of metals (Cu, Ag, Co, Ni, etc.) and metal oxides (CuO, ZnO, NiO, Fe3O4) for catalytic purification water from organic pollutants (dyes, nitrophenols, ferricyanides, herbicides) and to remove heavy metal ions (Cd (II), Hg (II), Pb (II), As (III)) from aqueous media through effective sorption.
1) Project manager – head of the laboratory Mashentseva А.А. (http://orcid.org/0000-0002-0766-);
2) Engineer – Aimanova N.А. (https://orcid.org/0000-0002-9150-5877)
3) Engineer – Parmanbek N. (PhD student)
4) Laboratory assistant – Nurmakhan А.
5) Engineer – Orakova М.S.
6) Junior researcher – Muslimova I.B. (PhD student)
- Preparation of plant materials from endemic plants.
- Eco-friendly synthesis of metal nanoparticles and metal oxides (“Biogenic NPs”).
- Immobilization of biogenic NPs on dry plant raw materials (“Biogenic composites”).
- Application of biogenic nanoparticles and composites for sorption and decomposition of dyes that pollute the environment.
- Application of biogenic nanoparticles and composites for the catalytic decomposition of other toxic pollutants.
- Application of “biogenic composites” for the removal of toxic heavy metal ions.
– Collecting, processing, botanical identification of plant raw materials from Serratula Coronata L. and Salsola Collina Pall., growing on the territory of the Karaganda region in different phases of growth. Preparation of plant extracts from raw materials.
– NPs of metal oxides (CuO, ZnO, NiO, Fe3O4) were synthesized by the method of wet combustion using plant raw materials as reducing agents.
Scientific and technical program “ Development of the nuclear-physical methods and technologies for innovative modernization of the economy of Kazakhstan” Task 7. Development of electrochemical sensors based on modified ion-track membranes. (Implementation period: 2021-2023)
2021 – Development of sensors for the detection of uranyl ions
2022 – Development of electrochemical sensors for the detection of heavy metal ions
2023 g – Electrochemical sensors for the determination of glucose in aqueous solutions
– The grafting polymerization of acrylonitrile and glycidyl methacrylate on polyethylene terephthalate ion-track membranes was investigated.
– Study of polymer-analogous transformations on ion-track membranes.
– A physicochemical study of the obtained membranes was carried out by methods of FTIR-, UV-spectroscopy, XRD, EDX, SEM, AFM.
– Electrochemical sensors based on modified membranes were designed
– Testing of sensors in the detection of uranyl ions has been carried out.
1) Zhumanazar N.N., Korolkov I.V., Yeszhanov A.B., Shakaeva A.H., Tashenov A.K., Zdorovets M.V. Sensory na osnove trekovyh membran dlya elektrohimicheskogo detektirovaniya ionov kadmiya// Vestnik NYAC. – 2021. – Vol.1. – P. 4-8.
Head of the laboratory Mashentseva Anastasia Aleksandrovna
Тel.: +77172 34-16-57 доб.122